Sunday, April 29, 2012

Why I Deleted My Facebook App

It's just too tempting. So difficult not to keep checking my phone, especially FB and emails (which are mostly FB notifications anyway). So, I have done it - changed the settings to NO email notifications and deleted the FB app.

So many parenting books say, and it's common sense anyway, that the parent should give the child full attention while with him, even if the full attention is just to be with him, not necessarily doing anything with him. Not that I was glued to my phone.. but sneaking those 1-2 minutes here and then do add up.. The boys probably knew mummy wasn't 100% with them...

Same goes for nighttime, after the boys went to bed. I found myself checking my phone so many times.. but nighttime is the only time I can read, and there are already so many books waiting for me!

This means that I now only have about 2 hours a day (and only on weekdays!) to check FB and do things like uploading photos, AND write my blog, AND do other 'important' stuff like googling for certain things, and it's definitely time not enough! (Because Hubby uses the laptop when he's home. ie weekends are no-laptop days for me as well.) Thus I have to prioritize how to use my online time. I am in a few FB groups which are very interesting, and I would love to be able to chat there all the time, or at least read all the updates. Blogging is more important though, as it is something like a diary.. while FB groups, to be frank, is more like being kay poh :P So, FB groups gotta take a backseat.

Other than FB, I have also put my Whatsapp on mute. The group conversations are too distracting. Once a conversation starts, the messages keep coming. Though I might not be so tempted to check my Whatsapp, when I heard incoming messages, I felt that I should check my phone in case those were important SMSes.

Actually, I realise I am more even-tempered and patient with the boys when there are less distractions. I am less 'busy' and thus do not feel so stressed due to having to 'multi-task'. This also applies to activities - it's more 'peaceful' when we just spend the day at home on our usual routine. Things just get too rushed if I bring them out.. even if it's for 'fun' activities. Hubby is right on this - the boys are too young to really enjoy interesting things like the zoo or farms etc.. To them, just the nearby playground, even on a daily basis, is probably more than enough to keep them happy. That, plus routine and peaceful fun at home : )

1 comment:

  1. Totally agree with you... and I support the decision!

    Weekends are no online days for me as well, and the laptop has become a white elephant of late :)

    I realised that as the boy grows and becomes more responsive to his surroundings, I would have to lead by example. It will not do him good to be intrigued by the world wide web more often than needed.

    ReplyDelete