Sunday, April 22, 2012

Auntie-ism

While Jiale was having his super long nap at Vivocity yesterday, I took the time to people-watch, with my primary target being mothers. I wanted to see what it was in people's dressing/makeup etc that made the difference between an auntie and a yummy mummy. (The following are listed in order from least important to most important.)

Clothes
Didn't know that many many mummies did dress very casually! Most of the mummies I saw were in shorts/bermudas/3-quarters pants and a t-shirt/casual top. And unfortunately, no matter how glam/branded/expensive they were, shorts were shorts and t-shirts were t-shirts.. There's no way they could look yummy in such a casual get-up. As for jeans, some were able to get away with it if their jeans were hip enough (read: tight, stylish).. not the baggy loose type. The ones who really looked good were definitely more dressed up, e.g. a nice dress, a pantsuit.

Makeup
Yes, makeup is a must-have. When I was younger (early 20s), I preferred the natural look. Felt that it was more important to look good without makeup than to look good with makeup. Now, ten years on, I think makeup IS essential. I shall not deceive myself. Though heavy makeup would probably make one look more like a mama-san than yummy mummy :P I have recently purchased mascara, eyelash curler and bb cream : )

Posture
Gotta sit and stand properly. Slouching does add age to one's overall look. Need not say more.

Age
Not the chronological age, but how old/young you look. Some people just have youngish looks, while some... just look auntie.. Can't do much about it I guess, though a healthy lifestyle (diet, exercise, rest) and supplements (Imedeen??!) will probably help (better complexion is always welcome!).

And lastly... and the most important.. *drum rolls please*
WEIGHT
Yes, those whom I at first glance thought were the elder sister instead of the mother, were all slim! In fact, there was one mummy whom I observed for quite long, and even looked quite closely at her clothes etc.. and I thought she was maybe 20 years old! Slim = youngish girlish figure. Fuller/womanly figures.. well, I guess they come with some assets, but they add years to how a person looks..

So, my conclusion is, no point wasting money buying nice clothes. Frankly speaking, often after meeting someone, whether an old friend or a new acquaintance, I can't recall what they were wearing. As you can see, my list starts off with 'superficial' things like clothes & makeup, then moves on to things which are part of the person.

Anyway, it's just my own amateur observations, which I am sharing here for fun. But guess what my main personal goal will be for now?

*Now, where are my dumbbells?*

No comments:

Post a Comment