Sunday, April 22, 2012

Colon Health

Inspired to read up on this after a relative went for a colon checkup last week, ie a colonoscopy. Still waiting for results of the checkup, hopefully she is fine. But 'fine' already includes having difficulties in the toilet and sometimes blood in the output. I thought.. everyone has to poo.. and it's something we do quite often... Imagine having to worry even when on the toilet.. perhaps feeling constipated but don't dare to push for fear of aggravating the condition... : /

What I have learnt after some googling:
1) The correct position for eliminating is squatting. Apparently the intestines are straight when we squat so the waste materials can come out more easily. When we sit on the toilet, a part of the intestines is curved, which means the waste might 'collect' in the curve. Yucks.

2) As I posted in a recent link, it's apparently not good to eat small meals as the food will be not bulky enough for the intestines to push it through during digestion. It's better to eat three main meals instead.

By the way, let me state a disclaimer here. I did not read up a lot a lot on the above information, just that they seem like sound advice and not too difficult to do. The medical terms I use might not be that accurate, e.g. when I say intestines, it might be the stomach instead.

So, what I have decided to do with immediate effect:

1) Increase my intake of vegetables & fruits. One serving a day seems so little, right? But I have never been a fan of vegetables since young and it was only in recent years that I started to eat a bit of greens. As for fruits, it just seemed too much trouble to wash and cut them (read: lazy). To make things worse, as I am not working and spend most of my time with the kids, I have neither time nor inclination to cook proper meals for myself. (I cook for the kids but their food is too healthy for me!) Thus my breakfast is usually 2 slices of bread with peanut butter, lunch is rice with fish tofu. (I no kid you, I have been eating fish tofu for lunch for months on days which I am at home without hubby. I like it la, but I know it's processed food and not healthy.) As for dinner, Hubby da bao food back, usually carrot cake or wanton mee or zi char (usually a meat dish and an egg dish since I don't like vegs), which are yummy and I like.. but again, not healthy. So.. where's the vegetables in my diet??Have proposed to Hubby to change the egg dish to a veg dish when he buys zi char in future and he agreed : )

2) I have bought a probiotics supplement. Took it for the first time today and shall continue diligently.

(Hubby says there is no need for such supplements as long as I eat more fruits & vegs. But..... both he and the abovementioned relative eat vegs regularly.. But they still had/have problems.... While I never ate vegs for 20+ years of my life... and I am still fine... never had much problem in the loo.. (TMI?? haha) So I conclude fruits & vegs are not that great after all. But still, good to eat more of them of course.)

Do take care of your colon!

No comments:

Post a Comment