Thursday, April 12, 2012

Coping with New Baby

Recently read this post about how a mummy coped (urmm, or rather, was unable to cope) with her 2-year-old when the newborn arrived.
http://mommyofamonster.com/2012/04/mommy-moment-melissa-style.html

I think I can safely say I did not have any such moments with Jiale. How I dealt with having a new baby:

1) Perhaps because Jiale was only 18 months old when he was promoted to a big brother, he might not have understood what was going on. I think that as a child gets older, he might seem to understand, he thinks he understands, but actually he's understanding wrongly. E.g. he KNOWS mei mei or di di has replaced him, he is SURE that the parents love the new baby more.. etc etc.. but he's actually wrong! haha. In my opinion, a child can only truly understand when he is around 12 years old.. and even then, it takes a lot of careful management on the parents' part.

2) I always gave priority to Jiale. I believe this is only fair. After all he had been my only child for 18 months prior to Didi's arrival. I don't expect him to be sooooo understanding and 心甘情愿 wait for mummy to attend to Didi first. If someone else could handle (e.g. Didi had a dirty diaper), I would 'outsource' Didi's problem and tend to Jiale instead, even if it was just to play with him. I believe it's for the good of everyone, including Didi, for Jiale to be very assured of his position in mummy's heart.
(But I no longer do so. Gradually started to make Jiale wait as he got used to having Didi around. Now is about 50-50.)

3) I often tell Jiale that I love him and he is my Number One. Yes, in front of Didi too. I tell Didi frankly that he is my Number Two. And that he is Kor Kor's Number One. One more person to take care of him and dote on him, so it's fair that he gets a little less love from mummy. But only a little bit ok. I don't really believe one can love all the children equally la. After all, I spent 18 more months with Jiale! Perhaps because I am the firstborn child, I am very ok with this :P

Having said all these, if/when I have my 3rd child, I am going to outsource all three kids!! Cos I won't be getting any proper rest for dunno how long after that!!

No comments:

Post a Comment