Tuesday, July 31, 2012

My Best Parenting (Non)Decision

is not sending Jiale to school before/when Didi was born. At that time, I was actually inclined toward packing him off to school, but there was just a tiny little bit of doubt in my heart. I also couldn't decide on a suitable school, given Hubby's thriftiness and the fact that I would have to be the one sending & fetching Jiale... with a newborn in tow! I was reluctant to commit to anything which would disrupt my newborn's naps, especially given my obsession with naps for the kids. (A good thing, see Didi can nap so well now!)

But then, given my just-do-it character, I would have disregarded/overcome the 'obstacles', if not for that tiny little bit of doubt which led to me proscrasinating.. dragging my feet.. half-hearted about things.. Not my usual style at all.

By the time I felt some urgency about the school enrolment (when other mummies whose EDD were 2-3 months later than mine had all settled the school arrangements for their firstborns), it was too late as Didi was almost here, and there would be no 3-month adjustment period for Jiale. I did not want him to start school just before Didi arrived, as I did not want him to think that I was sending him away because of Didi (though that would be the truth).

So, I missed the boat.

And I am really glad! It was not easy coping with two young children (both under 2 years old!), but I have never regretted keeping Jiale at home with me. (Just occasional bouts of frustration when he was being naughty, and occasional self-doubting moments when I wondered whether school would be better for him.)

In a way, the adjustment was gradual. When we first came home from the hospital, the confinement nanny helped a lot with caring for Didi. And Didi couldn't do much anyway.. not mobile yet, could only lie there the whole day.. the most he could do was to cry (loudly).. what I mainly needed to do was to breastfeed him.

Then as he got more mobile (and demanding), it also meant that there was less no-idea-why crying (andd no need to feed so often!) We also got into a routine for both the boys' daily essentials like naps and mealtimes.

Now Didi is really very mobile and not at all shy to make his demands & preferences known, can fight with Kor Kor and beat him. But it also means I don't have to worry so much about him falling down, don't have to keep guessing what he wants, and he can defend himself when Kor Kor bullies him.

Through all these, there have been so many wonderful precious moments with Jiale. Moments which we would not have together if he were in school instead. We have been to so many adventures together, from playgrounds to parks to zoo and many others. As little as the amount of time we spend on homelearning activities, this would have been further reduced if he had to go to school everyday. He might not have learnt as much as compared to going to school, but whatever he receives is 100% attention and love.

By the way, I no longer have any lingering doubts about whether this is the best for Jiale. I know it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment