Saturday, August 11, 2012

I Love LKY, I Love PAP





I like this so much that I have decided to write a blog post with this included.

[Disclaimer: This is MY blog and I write what I feel and what I think is correct. If you have strong differing opinions about LKY &/or PAP, please do yourself and me a favour and STOP reading NOW. If you insist on reading, it's your own problem, and don't tell me your disagreements. I don't care, I don't want to know.]

I am a 100% supporter of PAP and Lee Kuan Yew. Personally, I will feel I am a failure as a parent if my children do not show 100% appreciation of PAP and Lee Kuan Yew. I won't get angry with them, I will only be angry with myself. I won't show anger towards them, I will only weep alone. And weep I did, when I heard rumours that LKY might be in dire health just before National Day. I was at home with the boys, and I couldn't stop my tears from falling. I was so sad that he might pass on before I have a chance to properly educate my children about all he has done for Singapore, for us. I took out his books and showed his picture to Jiale, and told him this is Lee Kuan Yew, he is the reason why we have all we have today. But Jiale is simply too young to understand more. I know he is very old and if he is in poor health, it might be less suffering for him to let go. But I was so sad that he might pass on before Singaporeans learn to truly appreciate him and be thankful for all he did. Imagine being on his dying bed and knowing that there are people out there who disregard his hard work and think what he did was wrong.

But I say, just look around you, at the flat you are living in (and probably own), look out at the neighbouring blocks, look downstairs at the neighbourhood parks and amenities, open your door and walk out safely - these are all direct results of the hard work of LKY and his teammates. I maintain that if you like the Singapore you see now, that means you like LKY and PAP. It's like you like to eat cake, but you don't like eggs and flour. OK, well, flour doesn't taste good on its own, but without flour, there's gonna be NO CAKE. Some say it's not just LKY/PAP's efforts, the average Singaporean worked hard too. Yep, sure, try making a cake without any flour. You can substitue another ingredient, but then, what you get will not be the same cake ya? It won't be same the Singapore we love!

Charisma. Convictions. Courage. Willingness to take risks. Willingness to put his own career and future and safety on the line FOR THE NATION. Without all these, a bunch of commoners would just be insufficient.

I used to live happily in a world where I thought surely every Singaporean appreciated LKY, surely every non-Singaporean felt jealous as hell we had LKY but they didn't. But over the past years, especially during elections and National Day, I realised that the world might not be as nice as I thought. And recently, I realised that it might have something to do with Facebook and the general eruption of Internet and social media. Facebook made me feel that the majority of Singaporeans were anti-LKY, anti-PAP. But at the recent NDP, I heard the loudest cheers when LKY arrived at the parade. I realised that perhaps in the real world out there, beyond FB, the majority of Singaporeans love and appreciate him. So, I shall stop getting worried and scared by what I see on FB. I shall believe that the non-appreciative posts on FB are from the minority. No idea whether this is true, but I would rather believe something happy than something depressing given that I have no way to verify.

The best thing about the malicious rumour? I see more appreciative Singaporeans speaking up on FB. I hope that it will no longer just be the complaining ones complaining, but also more appreciating ones appreciating! : )

1 comment:

  1. i admire Mr Lee Kuan Yew a lot too! Wonderful post:D

    ReplyDelete