Saturday, July 21, 2012

Mummy's Personality

Been thinking recently that it's not so much about what's right or wrong, good or bad when it comes to parenting. The mother/main caregiver's personality determines what life will be like for the child.

I am outdoorsy
so my boys get a lot of outdoor time. If I hate the sun and non-aircon etc, no matter how much I read about how good/important outdoor play is for children, I would not be able to actualize it.

I am independent
so my boys get to go out very often. I can cope with them without hubby, otherwise even though I am sahm, I could only bring them out on weekends when hubby is free. I don't need company either, so I am perfectly happy to go out with just the boys, no need to date other mummies and try to compromise one another's routines & schedules.

I am disciplined
so my boys are on a structured routine.

I am no-nonsense
so the boys are sleep-trained from 8 months old and 5 months old respectively. Please don't tell mummy you are not tired. Because I know you are.

I am firm strict fierce firm strict fierce firm strict fierce ok can't decide. I am firm/strict/fierce/combi
so my boys live in fear are obedient (at least to my expectations of a 1yo and a 2.5yo).

I am a lousy cook
so they don't get to eat yummy meals : (
(though this is more of my lack of skills rather than a part of personality)

I am emotional
so they witness some of my breakdowns. Blah : (

I am argumentative
so they witness some of my disagreements with cab drivers etc : /

Got good, got bad lah.

Personality is not the same as conscious parenting choices, such as focusing on play rather than academic teaching, or deciding how old to send the child to school. See the difference?

No comments:

Post a Comment