Saturday, July 21, 2012

Survival Theme

Have decided to focus our learning activities around the survival theme.

Firstly, that will include survival skills. I really need to read up and learn about this. Not forgetting my dear sister who was in Girl Guides - please teach your nephews how to tie knots etc! I was in NCC for six years, so I guess I do have some knowledge in this area too. And of course the daddy who did his National Service! Jiale is already attending swimming lessons, i.e. learning how to survive in the water.

That brings me to my second point - safety. Learn how to swim so that he will be safer in the water. I discourage the use of floating devices cos I think they give the child a false sense of security, i.e. he thinks he can float but he doesn't know it's the devices keeping him afloat. The coach does use floats during lessons to let Jiale practise kicking etc, but other than that I don't put floats on Jiale when we go to the pool. Anyway water safety is not the only thing, I shall definitely bear safety in mind when I consider our homelearning themes.

Learning to read safety signs
Also related is health. Can't survive for long if body is not healthy. Thus our outings will be mostly outdoors &/or sports. Natural breeze vs air-conditioning. A healthy mind is the bonus : )

Last but not least is interest. Interest is how to keep his curiosity and desire to learn alive (pun intended :p). If he does not show any particular interest in any topics, we shall just go without and declare a holiday. At the moment though, he's too fast for me to keep up!

No comments:

Post a Comment