Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Make Yourself Happy Part 2

I feel very happy with the recent change to my time off and I have made another change!

Previously I would cook dinner occasionally. As Hubby only reaches home around 8.30pm on most days, that means I had to do the usual routine of settling the boys to sleep, before I started cooking dinner for Hubby and myself. It was usually 9.30pm by the time we finished eating, and 10pm when I finished washing up (dishes, sink, stove, maybe gotta mop floor too). I was not happy. Cooking dinner made me feel stressed and grouchy. I felt that it was a meaningless activity as I was not a good cook anyway and what I cooked was definitely not as tasty as what we could buy.

So, I thought about it and concluded I would feel happier if it could be more meaningful. I told Hubby that I would cook dinner on the days that he could reach home by 7pm. In this way, we can eat dinner together with the boys. I bathe the boys before he comes back and prepare the ingredients in advance too, so when he reaches home, I just need to cook. Though I do not expect Hubby to help out with the boys' bedtime routine after dinner, at least I can finish all the housework by 9pm. Urmm, the food is still not that fantastic lah, but cooking for the family and eating as a family make me feel my efforts are more worthwhile.

[I would like to clarify that I am not making life difficult for Hubby to expect him to reach home by 7pm once in a blue moon. No doubt he has never-ending work, but he is able to go off by 6pm+ if necessary. He also went off at 6pm+ recently when his work associate gave him a dinner treat :p]

Some friends have commented that I am very 'fast hand fast leg' when I want to do something. It's because I do not like to sit around and wait for solutions to fall from the skies. When I have a problem, I think think think about how to solve it and then execute it. Why sit around and continue to be unhappy? Especially when it's a problem that can be solved?

I also remember a friend posting on FB something along the line of 'people who post a lot on FB are less happy'. I disagreed then and I still disagree now. I think posting on FB is an active way of getting advice, comfort, suggestions, encouragement, affirmation, etc. When I have a question/problem, I ask. When I am unhappy about something, online friends give me a virtual hug &/or pat on the back. Or when they share their own experiences, I realise I am not the only one in such a situation. In addition to my personal experiences, in my professional opinion (pyschology & social work trained) I also say people who keep things to themselves are likely to be more unhappy :p

Can I give you a challenge? Think of one thing which you are currently unhappy about, and set out to solve the problem and make yourself happy! All the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment