Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Book: Your Self-Confident Baby

Disclaimer: My 'book reviews' are very subjective as it depends on whether the book is relevant to my family. Neither will I be doing any summary as I believe it's the details that make the book useful/helpful.

Been reading this blog a lot recently, and I like the author's philosophy in working with children. She trained under Magda Gerber, so naturally I searched for a book by Gerber and found this book.

The book is more relevant for parents with children below two years old. The book was ok, so this is more of a review of the author's philosophy.

The underlying idea is - wait. Trust your child to develop at his own pace. Don't try to rush him to do things he is not ready to. For example, don't hold his hands and 'walk' him. No need to teach academic stuff as he will learn what he needs to from the natural environment.

I like this idea. It is what I am trying to do with regards to Jiale's 'academic learning'. I like it a lot.. just that I don't know whether I have the willpower to wait and resisit peer pressure & societal pressure.

Good to read this book if you know you are not a ks parent &/or do not want to be a ks parent.

No comments:

Post a Comment