Friday, August 31, 2012

Self-Initiated Learning

A few recent incidents really wow-ed me.. I was floored by how children instinctively and naturally learn.

Incident One
Jiale has got his toy animals and (quite) a few animal books for some time. A few days ago, I saw that he had taken out a toy snake and was reading Snakes Dictionary : )

Incident Two
I have a shelf near our usual bedtime reading area (i.e. living room sofa) where I put the books which I would prefer to read for bedtime. (But he is free to choose any other book from anywhere else for me to read.) All along he has been largely ok with the selection. But recently, he has started to go to Didi's shelves and chosen board books, which are mostly simpler stories with fewer words, and he started reading after me!

Incident Three
I seldom sing nursery rhymes to the boys, because I am not a great fan of singing nor do I have a good voice. Not that I am shy to sing in front of my own children la, just that I don't have the habit of breaking into song that often, lol. But what I do quite often is to insert my own words into the tune of a rhyme while talking to them. Urmm, the most often one is probably 'Didi is a naughty boy, naughty boy, naughty boy..' to the tune of 'London Bridge is Falling Down'. Haha. And nowadays, I notice Jiale has been doing the same thing! He sings (sorta), but the words seem to be all his own!

In general, I am very laid back about Jiale's developmental progress, especially after the first year (cos I became a cooler mum?? Hee hee). And these incidents just affirmed that what I am doing, at least some must be right! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment