Monday, August 13, 2012

Developing Good Habits

Two things about Jiale which I am very proud of - his sleep habits and his walking abilities.

He has been sleeping on his own since five months old. Was in a cot in our bedroom before that, but even then, he never got to sleep on our bed. When he was 14 months old, he started sleeping in a kid's bed (cos he was almost able to climb out of his cot and I got too scared). Now, I am very happy that he knows how to sleep on his own : )

Jiale never asks me to carry him when we are out. He can walk and walk and walk when we are at the zoo or bird park or Changi Boardwalk etc. He seldom even complains at all.

BUT I don't think it's innate abilities. It's habits trained by me. I am 100% sure he will still need me to accompany him to sleep if I had started this habit when he was younger. So, it's just one habit versus another. Same for walking, other than mummy's preferences, the fact is I was pregnant with Didi when Jiale started to walk, so I seldom carried him even at home, asking him to walk instead. Thus, 'forced' by circumstances, he (and me) is very used to walking on his own.

[But I think that before 2 years old, it's difficult for a child to walk fast enough to keep up with an adult's pace, and also difficult for him to have sufficient endurance to walk a lot. Though Jiale didn't ask me to carry when he was younger, I found it hard to expect him to walk, cos he was sooo slooooow. And asking a child to hurry up is simply asking for trouble.]

BUT the same Jiale always asks Daddy to carry! Even from our house to the carpark..... I wouldn't torture any of us by going for a long trek as a family.. Thus you don't see us doing such activities on weekends. I mean, what's the point of going for a nature walk if the boy isn't going to WALK???

[OK, maybe not true, even if he doesn't walk, there are still many things to see. Just that one of my main goals of going on such treks (i.e. torturing myself) is to train Jiale to TAHAN, to train his physique and stamina and endurance.]

Children are very smart - they can adjust to different expectations effortlessly lor. It is really Daddy's fault for spoiling him... and also for being too impatient to wait for Jiale to walk slowly (though it might not be slow for a child). In the beginning, Jiale did try asking me to carry, but I always let him finish his tantrum and he would walk in the end (because I would NEVER give in and carry). Now that Jiale is walking much faster, I am reaping the rewards of my patience and efforts, while Daddy is suffering lor :p I have suggested that Daddy start training Jiale now.. but I guess he can't bear to/can't be bothered to/can't stand the embarrassment, so it's status quo for now.

Other good habits which I have cultivated/am cultivating - always getting off his bike and pushing it across at underpassess and overhead bridges. Doesn't matter whether there are other people around, cannot be lazy for the sake of convenience. And always throwing litter in the bins - Jiale exclaims and points out any litter he sees nowadays. A funny anecdote here - Didi has also been 'brainwashed' simply through Kor Kor's influence and observing us. There was once when we were at the letterbox and suddenly I realised Didi was quietly picking up all the junk mail on the floor and throwing them into the bin! I don't usually ask Jiale to pick up other people's litter cos I don't want him to dirty his hands (and we would be very busy if we always pick up all the litter!). But it was good to see Didi being so proactive, hee hee.

Of course there are also bad habits caused by me.. But that's another (or many other) story.


No comments:

Post a Comment