Saturday, August 18, 2012

The Mystery of the Missing Frogs


About two weeks ago, we had our first frog! A few days later, a second frog appeared. I was cracking my head about what to feed them, cos from what I read, tadpoles are herbivores while adult frogs need to eat insects. I went to fish shops but was told that they only sold frogs to feed fish.. nothing for frogs : / So I tried to catch ants for the frogs but I wasn't too diligent about it.

A couple of days ago, I realised I couldn't see the two frogs anymore! Was rather perplexed, and today when I changed the water and took a close look, the frogs really weren't in the box anymore! Hmm, the frogs are apparently prone to eating their own kind when desperate hungry, but... they couldn't have eaten each other, right??

There is no way to solve the mystery, but I am guessing out of desperation they had escaped from the two small holes I poked in the lid for ventilation. Urmm, and since they probably slimmed down from the no-choice dieting, it probably wasn't too difficult.

Anyway Jiale and I are really enjoying this froggy journey. We have watched the tiny tadpoles grow into frogs! Hopefully I will be able to persevere until the frogs produce eggs, as we missed out on that stage.

As you can see from the photo above, we have a new froglet! It just emerged from the water this afternoon. And I shall try really hard to feed it well!

No comments:

Post a Comment