Sunday, November 11, 2012

Why I Re-installed My FB App

Gosh my last post was on 6 Sep! Actually that's more recent than I thought.. seems like a looooooong time since I came here at all.

I have re-installed my Facebook app on my iPhone because I have decluttered my FB! Yay! I un-friended everyone who is not an ex-classmate or ex-colleague or neighbor or family etc, i.e. everyone whom I do not really know in real life. Granted, I had been chatting with some of these 'un-real friends' far more than with most of these ex-colleagues or ex-classmates, but I decided that it was more meaningful to stay in touch with 'real people'.

One of my main motivations was wanting to cut down on the time I spent on FB so that I could spend more quality time with my children. I tried limiting my usage but I failed to do so.. too often sneaking peeks at my phone when I should be concentrating on the boys instead. And everytime I did so, I was 'rewarded' with many new posts and notifications and comments etc... Talk about positive reinforcement! Of course I had the choice to not read them till I was free.. but it was so difficult to resist...

By drastically reducing my Friends, I can still post as often as I like, but there are now fewer comments. And each time I check FB, there are hardly any new posts. Thus I spend less time on FB, even if I still check as frequently as before. At the same time, because of less 'reinforcement', it has become natural for me to check less often nowadays. Goal achieved!

Not that I don't like my friends to comment on my posts, it's just more meaningful when it's my real friends commenting! There are of course disadvantages too - most of the people I unfriended were mummy-friends whom I got to 'know' in mummy forums etc, many of whom are more experienced parents than I am, so I no longer get to see the interesting activities they do with their kids, or their valuable mummy insights etc. Hmm, but gain some, lose some la.

There was in fact a trigger which prompted me to take this 'drastic' action. One fine day, I was chatting in a FB group when I felt I was being personally attacked. Well, the other mummy wrote my name in her post lor, so it wasn't my illusion. I felt so sick and tired of chatting with such people. Why was I wasting my time & energy hanging around such people? At that time, I just wanted to get her (and some others) out of my life. If she wanted to stick to her old ways of doing things, I wouldn't be the one suffering. Not my problem, not my business, don't even wanna waste time/energy reading whatever she wanted to say. BLAH. Get lost lor.

Anyway, two months down the road, I am definitely happier. Less time spent on FB, more quality time with my precious babies, less time on the computer in general, more napping time. Oh ya, since frequent FB checks is no longer an issue, it is much more convenient to use the app :p

No comments:

Post a Comment