Monday, November 26, 2012

Why I Don't Want A Maid

Many people have expressed amazement that I intend to take care of three young children including a newborn by myself. Actually, I think that the worst is while I am pregnant.. The baby inside is so vulnerable... I can't even see her to know whether she is ok.. Unlike the two older boys, I can take their temperature or ask them how they are feeling or just observe their appetites or whether they are sick and cranky.

But no point engaging a domestic helper just for these few months right? The thing is, I don't think I want the helper to do anything that is directly related to the care of the children anyway, such as bathing them, feeding them, playing with them, or even wiping their poo. Even when I was very very stressed (like when Didi refused to nap), I didn't like the idea of a helper taking over though I did try to visualize it. The only thing I can think of that I would like someone to help with is the cooking, cos I am really a lousy cook. Even the washing is not too bad, as I currently have a part-time cleaner who comes for a few hours once a week.

Neither will I leave the children alone with the helper and go out alone. Must keep an eye on her all the time! I am traumatized by news reports of domestic helpers abusing the children.. : ( Bo bian la, if I am a full-time working mother.. But since I do have a choice, I would rather not.

In addition, I believe that the children will grow up to be more sensible when they see their mummy slogging her guts out. At the very least they will not expect someone else (i.e. helper) to help them do housework.

[On the other hand, I think it will be good for my sons' future marital happiness to grow up seeing their mummy shaking leg and relaxing at home. Then they will have a realistic idea of what to expect from their wives - i.e. engage a maid for her and let her shake leg & relax at home. Otherwise they might think all wives are supposed to slog. Gosh. My poor daughters-in-law!]

So, it's just to have someone to help with the cooking. Yet my family and I will have to put up with the inconvenience of having an outsider around ALL the time. My house is not big enough to accomodate an outsider. Not to mention the extra financial burden. Much happier to have just our nuclear family : )

So if I can cope during the nine months of pregnancy, I am quite sure I will be able to manage when the baby is born (when I have my own body back!). Just four more months to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment