Friday, June 1, 2012

Am I Overprotective?

I had always thought I was a very not protective parent. I never minded the boys falling down, getting a few scrapes or bruises here and there.

But a few months ago, I did something very protective. I stopped bringing Jiale to playdates if a certain other girl (same age as him) would be present.

Was it because she bit him very hard a couple of times before?

No.

Was it because she kept telling him 'no this, no that', even when he was not playing with her or touching her things or doing anything to/with her?

No. (Though I was not happy about it.)


The last straw. When discussing with the girl's mummy why the girl seemed to dislike Jiale so much, she said that it could be because when they were younger (about one year old), Jiale pushed her quite often as he walked earlier than her and was more stable on his feet, so the girl remembered what happened and thus still disliked him ONE YEAR LATER.


A one-year-old baby can remember things and nurse a grudge for so long? That's scary.


Actually I have no recollection of Jiale pushing the girl on a frequent basis. But whether he did or did not.... Even if he did.... they were one year old!!


There is no way to know what the little girl was thinking or why she disliked Jiale or even whether she really did dislike him or whatever. I just know that I did not like it when my son was accused of being the cause of another person's negative behavior. And I absolutely CANNOT STAND IT that it was about an innocent one-year-old remembering another innocent one-year-old's actions one year on. BLEH.


It was too stressful too. So if he hit the girl again when they were two years old, would it be raised as the reason for whatever might happen one year later? Then everytime the two young kids quarreled/disagreed/fought (which I think is quite common among young children), I would be VERY SCARED.


So I decided to run away fast.


It has been three months since then. Very often I wonder whether I did the right thing. So what if it's stressful for me, perhaps it would be better for Jiale to take a few hard knocks and learn the reality of the not-always-friendly world out there? I might be able to 'censor' whom he associates with now, but it will be quite impossible as he grows up. Maybe I should have just REN and still let Jiale spend time with his friends whom he has known since babyhood? After all, the kids don't bear grudges (or at least, that's what I thought think). Was I overprotective?

Amidst all these thoughts, actually I still think I did the right thing. I believe children should not spend too much time in an environment with negative vibes (i.e. a peer telling him 'no' for everything, and an adult who saw him as the root cause for the problem, and a mummy being stressed & scared everytime he went near the girl).

What's worse is that I still have a phobia about this now. Whenver I observe Jiale with new playmates, I feel stressed, wondering whether it will go down the same route. (The old me would just have thought children were like that, they fight, they make up, they forget, they play.) While I am organising playdates or tagging along for other mummies' playdates, I am also in a dilemma whether I should subject Jiale to all that. Or should I just let him play alone/with Didi at home? Since we have no lack of toys at home and I am so outgoing and bring him out so often anyway.. No need to play with other kids until he (and his peers) is older?

我不知道

3 comments:

  1. Personally, I would choose playmates that my kiddo can get along with, so that I can sit back and relax and have my coffee without intervening!

    I would've gotten out of the situation you "ran away" from too. It's supposed to be fun for everyone in the end. Grudges, hard feelings, "revenge"... all these have no place in playdates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think that you are overprotective. It's hard to say if that mummy has installed any negative thoughts in her daugther's mind that's why she is so "hostile" towards your son when they met. I would move on and let him play with other friends/groups.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kids do not bear grudges let alone toddlers. Most likely its the parents who cant let it go. My then toddler boy was rowdy sometimes I have to keep an eye on him but he too gets bullied by other kids tt time.

    I do not or will not hesitate to stop a child while he/she is bullying my son with a stern NO or some firm (and sometimes jokingly) words. Even if its a friend's child. They have no issues on it because this is how it has been when we started to go on play dates together. I made my stand very clear. Especially during group gatherings n play dates where there are too many kids around and only a few parents are paying attention to the kids while the other parents are busy chit chatting etc.

    And when my son is the one bullying other kids, I make sure I stop him immediately, explain to him and made him apologise to the child. Has been so till now =) However since he is 4-5yrs old, I let him do his stuffs alone while I watch him like an eagle from a distance. My presence may not be with him but he knows that I am watching him n will catch him the minute he does something naughty. Such is the power of The Eye hahaha~~

    Anyway, chill! If you feel uncomfortable with a particular parent and/or child then avoid them. If avoidance is inevitable then make sure u keep an eye on ur child and NEVER let both of them cross paths lets blood is drawn hahah~

    ReplyDelete