Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Busy Children of Our Times

Today is Jiale's schoolday, so we were out of the house before 8am. Reached home around 12.30pm. Though he was only in school for less than 3 hours (because we took our own sweet time at breakfast and only reached a bit past 9am. But we were not late ok, cos the drop-off time is until 9.30am :p), he was already so tired and sleepy on the way home. Which of course resulted in a cranky and tantrumy child.

After he had some milk (gotta drink milk once he reaches home to make him happy. No mid-day milk if we did not go out in the morning) and took a bath, he was in a better mood. While I was preparing lunch, I could hear the two boys' happy laughter and 'chatting' as they were playing (trains, what else?). And it got me thinking, Jiale only has two scheduled activities a week (Playdays on Thursday and swimming lesson on Friday) and I already feel he's so busy. Even though we go out quite often, we usually spend at least half the day at home (i.e. if we are out in the morning, we stay at home in the afternoon, and vice versa.) How about so many other children who go to school daily, some even full-day in school? And quite a few others who have enrichment classes etc on top of that? Wow.

[This post is not to debate whether school or enrichment classes is good or bad. But the children must surely be very busy!]

Do you have times when you want to do nothing but stone? I do. I enjoy and look forward to those times when I can just relax in front of the TV, with nothing on my to-do list, no chores waiting for me.

Let's give our children more time to do nothing : )


No comments:

Post a Comment