Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Book: Your Child's Strengths

Got this on another mummy's recommendation. See here for details.

OK, this is a not bad book. The thing is, I feel it's not that necessary for me because I already fully agree with the main gist of the book, i.e. to focus on the child's strengths. In fact, as part of my Masters in Social Work, I did a presentation to my colleagues on the Strengths Perspective, together with a fellow colleague cum coursemate. The Strengths Perspective is about actively looking out for the clients' strengths and reframing the situation in positive terms. For example, a student who often gets into trouble for being defiant, could be reframed as having his own mind and willing to speak up. Then, the follow up action would be to help him to do this in appropriate ways and to create/look out for opportunities for him to build on his strengths. Instead of just scolding him and punishing him!

Anyway I like the Strengths Perspective very much, and I feel it is very important especially for the clientele I was working with - teenagers who had commited offences and were placed on probation by the Court.

OK, back to children. This book is divided into 3 parts - Part 1 describes the ideas & practices that contribute to children's feelings of weakness. Part 2 explains what strengths are and how and why families and schools should help children develop theirs. Part 3 offers a variety of workbook exercises that parents, teachers, or children can use to discover and develop their strengths. A Strengths Inventory is included in the appendix, a questionnaire that children can take to help them identify what their strengths are.

Why I don't need this book: I believe that since I already have this mindset, it should be easier for me to just try to apply it in our daily interactions, instead of trying to follow what the book teaches. And I am definitely too lazy to do worksheets/inventory!! I would recommend it to parents who might feel you are having some difficulties in seeing the positives in your child(ren) or realise that you seem to be often focusing on the negatives and neglecting the positives.

No comments:

Post a Comment