Sunday, July 21, 2013

Counting Calories

No, I'm not counting every calorie that goes into my mouth. Instead, what I usually do is to do a tally at the end of the day to get an idea of my calorie intake. Gosh, I didnt know that some foods were so high in calories! Eg lor mee is 500+, fried fish bee hoon soup is 700+!! In contrast, fishball bee hoon soup is only about 300. Drinks is another 'hidden-calories' killer.. Since I realised this, I have cut out Pepsi which I used to drink 1-2 servings everyday, and cut down on other soft drinks, juices, milo (which I started drinking a lot when I was doing confinement) and coffee. I now drink sugarless green tea when I need a cold drink, and hot green tea in place of milo and coffee. 



I have been using the iDAT app by HPB to keep track of calorie intake. It's very useful cos it includes most local foods. Another useful website is this
http://www.nutrition.com.sg/do/dolocal.asp

As I am breastfeeding, I need to consume a minimum of 1800 calories per day (according to many websites). Thus calorie counting also helps me to make sure I'm eating enough to produce good milk for my baby. 


No comments:

Post a Comment