Monday, July 22, 2013

Calories Overload!

It is really not easy to keep within 1800 calories! And I don't even mean 'special occasions' like when I'm back at my mum's.. Example of a regular 'good' day:

Breakfast: a slice of wholemeal bread (74) with peanut butter (75) and a cup of milo (100) - 249 calories

Lunch: white rice (normal portion) with a chicken/fish/egg dish 520 calories 

Dinner: white rice (normal portion) with a chicken/fish and a vegetables dish 520 calories

Snacks:
1 cup of low-fat coffee-flavoured milk 193
Isotonic drink (100+ after exercise) 83
Banana 67
Grapes 111
Hot green tea 5
Pokka sugarless green tea 0

Total for the day = 1648 calories. 
And that is my minimum if I don't take any junk or extra snacks!! One junk snack will tip the total over the top!!

But since I'm breastfeeding, I will definitely top up to 1800 if I haven't hit that by after dinner. And I definitely eat something whenever I feel hungry, cos I don't want baby to end up hungry too!

But... Imagine how difficult it would be to lose weight just by dieting if I were not breastfeeding.. Calorie intake probably shouldn't exceed 1500..? Aiyo.. Hope I manage to slim down while still nursing so that I won't have to suffer hunger! 

Today is the third day that I have seriously tried to keep to 1800 calories.. And the first time that I succeeded..  

Monday: had kaya buns for breakfast. Many calories.. Then as I was inexperienced and unprepared and had just started eating dinner at 6pm (instead of 9pm), I was very very hungry by 8pm.. By then I was only left with my daily portion of grapes for a snack.. Ended up eating cup noodles at 10pm : /

Tuesday: had McDonalds hotcakes meal with mocha frappe for breakfast! Sure die of course... But at least I had better control over the distraction of calories for the rest of the day, and I wasn't really hungry at night.... But but but I still felt like eating something! If I felt hunger, I would have eaten, no question, because I need to eat for my baby. But.. not hungry!! Urmm, ended up eating some chocolates.. : (

Today, it's 8pm now, and I have only consumed 1361 calories!! My grapes are still waiting for me, which is another 111 calories... Then I can still anyhow eat another 428 calories!! And I am NOT even hungry! (But gotta make up to 1800 no matter what. Cannot risk meimei's well being.)

Learning points: 
1) One high-calories meal is enough to bust the total for the day. Especially when I can't just skip meals for the rest of the day because I'm breastfeeding. 

(I will skip meals if I indulge earlier in the day when I'm no longer breastfeeding!!)

2) Need to plan how to spread the calories over the day in order to keep within the max, without having to go hungry. 

(Once I stop breastfeeding, I don't mind going hungry!!)

3) Need time to get used to eating different amounts of different types of food at different timings. 

(The body is amazingly adaptable!)

I must endure..!!


No comments:

Post a Comment