Monday, February 4, 2013

2nd Week Food Diary

Repeated some of the previous week's recipes which the boys liked. But their preferences seemed to have changed in the space of just a few days! Sigh, when will I ever be able to figure it out? : /

(We had lunch at the zoo on Wednesday, and Thursday breakfast was sandwiches which they brought to school, but they were ugly looking sandwiches cos we only had 3 slices of bread left, so I didn't take any photo :p Thursday lunch is always takeaway chicken rice cos I am not at home to cook while they are in school (and no, no way am I gonna give up my morning off to rush home to cook. Chicken rice is good, thank you very much). Saturday lunch was yummy sushi at Sakae after grocery shopping. The boys had their Sunday lunch & dinner at the grandparents' - i.e. I didn't have to cook!)

Monday breakfast: Cheese toast, hard boiled egg, banana
Jiale: Finished the toast & banana. Didn't eat the egg at all.
Jiahe: Finished almost everything plus kor kor's egg.

Monday lunch: Steamed seabass, steamed broccoli
JL: Said the fish was nice and finished all! Didn't touch the broccoli.
JH: Finished almost everything.

Monday dinner: Chicken tofu, chayotes corn mushroom soup
JL: Ate a lot of the chicken and this time he tried the tofu! : ) Finished his soup.
JH: Finished almost all his food.

Tuesday breakfast: Peanut butter sandwich, fried egg, caramelised banana
JL: Finished the sandwich. Didn't want to try the banana. Ate a bit of the egg.
JH: Finished almost everything plus some of kor kor's egg and banana.

Tuesday lunch: Kabocha mushroom pork, spinach with wolfberries


JL: Ate two portions of rice with some gravy from the pork dish. But didn't eat any meat/veg at all >.<
JH: Finished two portions of pumpkin. Spat out the spinach (???). Ate some minced pork. Spat out the mushroom (which he ate a lot last week!).
[I used fresh shitake mushrooms last week but dried chinese mushrooms this week cos I ran out of the shitake. Perhaps the chinese mushrooms were harder and not so nice? Shall buy shitake mushrooms again soon.]

Tuesday dinner: Crispy panfried fish, apple corn chicken soup
The boys loved the fish! Lackluster reaction to the soup.. again.. Shall give up this soup for the time being.

Wednesday breakfast: Peanut butter sandwiches and tuna sandwiches
His Royal Highness Jiale finally ate the blueberries! He used to love them when he was younger.. then he stopped eating blueberries.. But never mind, Didi happily gobbles up any leftover blueberries!

Wednesday dinner: Mochiko chicken, black bean cuttlefish soup
I made a mistake with the chicken - I think I used too much egg & flour.. shall try again soon. It was edible la, but I think it would be a more accurate experiment if at least the recipe were adhered to haha.

Thursday dinner: Sauteed shrimps with mushrooms, pork bones lotus root soup
Hmm, dunno why, Jiale didn't want to eat dinner at all.. Even before he saw the food he was saying he didn't want to eat..... He did come to the dining table eventually but... He usually loves prawns but he was sian sian towards tonight's dinner.. boo hoo.. Dear son, prawns are not cheap ok.....

(The lotus root soup was very bland! I don't add any salt to the soups as the recipes do not include salt. But I think that wasn't the problem.. the problem was probably the lotus root.. I bought a packet of pre-cut, pre-boiled lotus root cos it's not always possible to find lotus root at the supermarket, and I thought if it worked, it would be very convenient! But unfortunately, the flavour suffered and I would not use this again.)

Friday lunch: Braised french beans with bee hoon
Jiale requested for this when he saw the picture in one of my cookbooks the previous day. Hubby managed to help me buy french beans from the provision shop downstairs.. But I didn't have tung hoon and didn't realise it till I was about to prepare lunch, so I used bee hoon instead. Anyway Jiale bluffed me lor.. he said he would eat the beans but he refused to try them at all! : ( But I shall try this again with tung hoon.

I also let the boys try Campbell cream of asparagus after they had enough of the bee hoon. As part of my attempts to get more greens into Jiale, I wanted to try cream soups. Because Jiale simply refuses to touch the vegetables when I serve them as a separate dish or when they come as part of his soup! I thought cream soups might work since they are sorta 'pureed' into the soup.. and yes, he liked the cream of asparagus and even ate the asparagus pieces! Next, I shall make the soup myself! Didn't wanna waste food and money cooking the soup myself before getting some assurance that he would eat it.. :p

Friday dinner: Claypot rice, chicken vegetable soup
Jiale had the same reaction as the previous day's dinner.. Said he didn't want to eat even before laying eyes on the food.. SIGH : ( I suspect he has realised mummy is up to no good.. no more of his usual favorites of chicken nuggets etc.... I guess he's moody..

Saturday breakfast: Salmon mayo sandwich & scrambled egg
Happy that the boys were ok to eat salmon mayo! Salmon is a brain food! Yippee!

Saturday dinner: Stuffed hairy gourd, crispy panfried fish, spinach & prawn balls soup
Dinner with daddy. The fish is a tried and tested dish. First time cooking the hairy gourd dish, which was stuffed with minced pork + carrot + mushroom + spring onions + dried shrimps... a lot of work!! *perspire* Luckily I only tried to do this when hubby was around.. it's too much work to cook this dish just for the two boys! At least I had an appreciative customer who would finish the food.

(Dunno why I am unable to scroll below the picture below to write.. gosh.. Never mind I shall not kill my brain cells.)

Happy that I managed to get the boys to eat avocado! Spread the avocado on the bread and added some cheese in between before grilling the bread. Yumz! : )

Sunday breakfast: Avocado cheese toast

2 comments:

  1. Chin Choo how could you say you're not a good cook?
    There's so much variety and I wouldn't know how to cook those dishes. You should see what I cook for my kids on weekends. or what i serve them for breakfast, lol. Do you do a weekly meal plan too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. bcos i depend on recipe books! i can't cook.. can only follow instructions.. : / Yes I have to do weekly meal plan, or else I won't know what/how to buy groceries!

      Delete