Tuesday, January 15, 2013

My Masking Routine

I love to buy masks. Unlike the other skincare products such as toner or moisturiser where you have to stick to one till you finish the bottle, you can try different masks anytime you like! I think masks can be classified into a few groups: Hydrating, Cleansing, Whitening, Anti-ageing. With so many masks, how do I decide when to use which?

Let me share with you my secret! (OK, given that I am not very very fair or have very very beautiful complexion, this is not a skincare secret. It's just THE secret to managing your masks and utilising what you have bought without going nuts over the scheduling :p)

Firstly I have read/heard so many times that the key to good skin is in fact hydration. Without sufficient hydration, the other skincare products will not work well no matter how good they are. What a skincare expert advised was to make sure your skin is well-hydrated after sun exposure, in order to minimize tanning. In addition, as whitening products are usually at least a bit agitating (the level of agitation depends on how 'powerful' its whitening effect is), we should avoid using whitening products too soon after sun exposure. So, since I am so afraid of the sun nowadays, my mask routine is built around this. Being a mother of two young boys, I end up out under the hot sun at least one morning a week, say Monday. Thus:

Sunday - hydrating mask

Monday - hydrating mask

If the sun was very strong &/or I was under the sun for a long time:
Tuesday - hydrating mask

Wednesday - whitening mask 

Thursday -anti-ageing mask

Friday - take a break!

Saturday - might do a clay mask, which is more troublesome cos it's usually a wash-off mask instead of a sheet mask

If the sun wasn't that strong:
Tuesday - whitening mask

Wednesday - anti-ageing mask

Thursday - take a break!

Friday/Saturday - clay mask or do a DIY mask for fun :p

Other than masks, I make sure I don't exfoliate my skin before I go out into the sun, so that I won't be exposing 'tender' skin to the Burner. So if I plan to go for an outdoor activity on Monday, I won't do exfoliation on Saturday & Sunday. The exfoliator I use is supposed to be used in the morning, so I try to do it on days when I won't be going out at all, or maybe only have to walk from home to carpark. And of course, I have some cheaper masks and some expensive masks, so on days of very horrigible exposure, I use the atas one! And on 'mild' days I use the cheaper ones. Given that I use masks so often, I can't afford to use expensive masks all the time! Shall share the masks I have tried in another post soon : )

No comments:

Post a Comment