Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Blackheads vs Photoageing - OCM

Sometimes I feel quite paiseh to blog about skincare stuff, cos I am no expert and I thought, who would want to read?? But recently, I have heard a few friends telling me they have been 'inspired' to work harder at their skincare..! And that is inspiring to me to write more! : ) Urmm, but of course, often I am lazy to blog :p

Very often I hear friends expressing concern about their pores &/or blackheads. It was my main concern from my teens to a couple of years ago. Not that I no longer have this problem, just that I decided that after more than ten years of trying all sorts of methods (cheap products, expensive products, weekly facials, etc), I felt that it was time to accept there was nothing I could do about it except maybe more invasive treatments. In addition to the cost, I don't really like invasive treatments cos will become dependent on them.. there's no going back. Anyway, I no longer believe in anything that claims to be pore minimizing.

But since I am so into skincare nowadays, I googled the topic again. Read that blackheads are caused by oxidized oil, and the triggers are usually too much or wrong skincare products (especially sunblock as it is a thicker texture) &/or makeup. I don't use makeup very often, and I already had blackheads waaaaay before I even started using makeup at all. As for skincare, while I can't say the same for my earlier skincare regimes, now I am confident that I am using good products (mainly Laneige & Kiehls) and using them as recommended. So my conclusion is the only possible cause left is too much sunblock (I am obssessed with sunblock. Shall do a separate post on suncare soon.), since even good-quality sunblock is still thicker than most other skincare products.

But then, sunblock is to minimize photoageing. So, between blackheads which will likely go away by themselves in another ten years' time (as I get older and skin becomes less oily) and photoageing (read: wrinkles, age spots, sagging, etc), I choose blackheads!! Bring on the sunblock, more please!

[On the other hand, it's quite likely that the effectiveness of the anti-blackheads products I used was limited by my lifestyle, namely late nights. Perhaps if I try them again now with my new sleeping habits (in bed by 11pm on most nights), I might find they work better. But then, how many people can really sleep so early ah? No doubt that if I further improve my daily habits, such as eating more vegetables and less junk food and cut out soft drinks etc, I will find that my skin will improve accordingly and skincare products will all start to work miraculously. But that's not going to happen anytime soon.... Being a sahm with two young kids is too stressful.. and boring.. and... so I need happy food to keep me going.. I remember when I was pregnant with my first child and I was still working, my happy food were things like Din Tai Fung lunch. Now my happy food can only be tidbits lor... Sigh, perhaps one day when the kids are older I can make myself be disciplined again. (There was a time when I cut out all carbonated drinks cos I didn't want to affect my stamina as a runner, and a time when I cut out all sugared drinks for general health purposes. Oh well.)

Anyway, so whatever skincare products I use have to be effective based on my current lifestyle, and not on some unrealistic far-fetched healthy lifestyle :P]

Then what can we do about blackheads? At my facial a few days ago, my beautician commented (as usual) that I had many blackheads. I asked her what I could do about them, and she replied that I should keep the area (i.e. my nose) hydrated. Same as what I have read thus far, she said that the skin produces more oil to compensate when it feels dehydrated.

That seems to be accurate for me in terms of my general skin condition. Since I started focusing more on hydration (by switching to Laneige which is a very hydration-focused brand), my t-zone has become less oily. (But then, ageing also means less oily. So I don't know whether the reduced oiliness is a good sign or a bad sign!) While in the past I wouldn't hesitate to say my skin is combination of very oily t-zone and normal/dry cheeks, nowadays I usually say combination of dry cheeks and t-zone is a little oily. In fact I have started using the same moisture cream on my cheeks and forehead, to prevent wrinkles on the forehead, while using a lighter moisturiser for my nose and chin.

Of course, despite the reduced oiliness, I STILL have many blackheads on my nose. So.... I really don't know what to think la! I guess it's a deep rooted problem (of more than 15 years!!) and not something which simple hydration can solve. Never mind, since I am resigned to it anyway.

But but but! I have come across something which I will be trying very soon. It's called the Oil Cleansing Method and it is NOT as simple as using cleansing oil as facial cleanser (I have been using and loving cleansing oil for many many years.) The secret to this OCM is apparently castor oil. But because castor oil is very drying for the skin, I have to mix it with another oil. Will update again after I try!

[Warning/Disclaimer: If you are intrigued and would like to try this yourself, please read up read up read up first! Don't try just based on this little bit of info here hor! While I came across many reviews which said OCM was very effective, there were also numerous reviews which said OCM caused bad reactions. Personally I am going to start with a lower concentration of castor oil then gradually go up. Furthermore my skin is very elephant and not the sensitive type at all - I don't get pimples or acne or redness or whatever. That's why I can garung garung try! Please be careful!]

No comments:

Post a Comment