Saturday, September 1, 2012

Book: Teach Your Own. The John Holt Book of Homeschooling

The author presents a strong case for homeschooling in this book. I don't think I had seriously read any book on homeschooling for school-aged children before, since my older son is not even 3 years old yet, and primary school seemed to be in the very distant future.

As I have not been feeling well recently, it took me quite some time to finish reading the book, unlike for the previous Holt book I read when I was enthusiastically taking notes. So I can't really write much here. One thing though, is that while reading this book, it was the first time I started to seriously contemplate homeschooling my sons even when they reach primary school age.

"The most important question any thinking creature can ask itself is, 'What is worth thinking about?' When we deny its right to decide that for itself, when we try to control what it must attend to and think about, we make it less observant, resourceful, and adaptive, in a word, less intelligent, in a blunter word, more stupid."

"Intelligence... is not the measure of how much we know how to do, but of how we behave when we don't know what to do. It has to do with our ability to think up important questions and then to find ways to get useful answers."

No comments:

Post a Comment